This recipe is flexible, so you may consider trying a sweet potato / apple / strawberry combination or even a spinach / pineapple / banana version.
What is so great about this recipe is that you can make the puree, save some for the baby and turn the rest into a great snack for the bigger kids.
Natural Cran-Strawberry Red Roll-ups
- 3 cups fresh cranberries
- 3 cups strawberries hulled and chopped
- juice of 1/4 lemon
- 1/4 cup water from steamer pot
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- Preheat oven to 120 degrees (or lowest temperature available for your oven)
- In a steamer pot, boil water and place strawberries and cranberries in steamer basket and steam for 10 minutes until soft.
- Combine steamed fruit with lemon and 1/4 cup of water from pot in a blender or food processor and blend. Puree to a smooth texture. (If using for baby food, take out the portion you will need before adding in honey.) Add honey and blend again.
- Prepare a sheet pan with a piece of heat resistant plastic wrap or sprayed parchment paper and pour the puree on the sheet in a very thin layer, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake, with oven door left slightly ajar, for about 3 hours, until fruit puree has dried.
- Cut with a pizza cutter into long strips, the full length of the pan, and then cut those in half, and finish up by rolling them. Store in a air-tight glass jar.