Mashed potatoes are right up there on our feel-good food list. And we’re always looking for ways to make healthier comfort foods, so these mashed potatoes with red lentils and kale really fit the bill.
By adding kale and lentils to mashed potatoes, you’ll really increase the nutrients and turn this side dish into a stand alone meal. Lentils are easily incorporated into the boiling process here. But if you’re new to them, you’ll find plenty of tips on how to cook lentils by Canadian Lentils.
This mashed potatoes recipe uses red lentils. Lentils are a tasty addition to any whole foods pantry. We discovered red lentils when we started making Indian inspired dishes at home. The sweetest of the different types of lentils, red lentils are perfect for curries and thickening soups.
For those people who are sensitive to lectins, you can decrease the level of lectins by sprouting, fermenting, and soaking beans or lentils before eating them. If you have an Instant Pot, pressure cooking is another to lower lectins.
In this mashed potatoes with red lentils recipe, adding kale is a wonderful way to get picky eaters to ease into a powerhouse food.
And of course, if your family doesn’t do cheese, you can easily leave out the parmesan.
Mashed Potatoes with Red Lentils & Kale
- 2 lbs about 3 large organic russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 ⁄3 cup 85 mL red lentils
- 1 garlic clove peeled
- 4 kale leaves stems discarded, thinly sliced
- ½ cup 125 mL milk or half & half
- ¼ cup 60 mL butter
- ¼ cup 60 mL freshly grated parmesan
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil in a medium pot.
- Reduce heat, add the lentils and garlic, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are very tender.
- Remove from heat and add the kale leaves. Let stand for 5 minutes or until the kale is tender but still bright green.
- Drain everything well and return the mixture to the pot.
- Add the milk and butter and roughly mash with a potato masher. Add the parmesan cheese and black pepper and mash again.
- Natural Baby Bath & Skin Care Products 2021 Guide - April 6, 2021
- Natural Baby Sleep Aids and Baby Sleep Products 2021 Guide - March 31, 2021
- Eco-Friendly Baby Products: Organic Baby Carriers 2021 Gear Guide - March 23, 2021