Anni Daulter is back with another green party theme from her new book, Naturally Fun Parties for Kids. Today we get a peek at an eco-friendly party with flour sack races, and where the main attraction is a huge stack of whole wheat pancakes and healthy toppings.
This idea came to Anni after a friend told her she thought her daughter was too young for a sleepover party. ”I suggested the kids come to a morning party dressed in PJ’s (as if they had spent the night), have pancakes and other morning treats, and enjoy a high-energy gathering, without the sleep deprivation that often comes with a full sleepover party.”
Flour Sack Races + Healthier Donuts
Every kid loves to race! Line them up and take turns and make sure each child has plenty of hopping room, as to not fall and hurt their racing neighbor. On your mark, get set, GO! The kids love to play this game over and over! No prizes for the winner, just good old fashioned fun!
Vanilla Cake Donuts with Strawberry Topping
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 large organic, free range egg
- 1 large organic, free range egg yolk
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 1 packet yeast
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- 1 cup raw agave nectar
Cook’s Note: This recipe requires donut pans.
1. In a small saucepan, cook down strawberries with agave nectar on medium heat, until they become somewhat saucy. This should take about 4-5 minutes.
Vanilla Cake Donuts:
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder & soda, salt and nutmeg together in a large bowl and set aside.
3. In another bowl mix the egg and yolk, sugar and yeast with a mixer on medium until you have a light colored creamy texture.
4. Mix in the oil and vanilla and add the sour cream and mix until it’s well blended.
5. Pour it into the flour mixture and mix on high until well blended and batter is smooth. There is no need to let the yeast do it’s thing, it has sugar and will rise in the oven.
6. Pour batter into donut cups ½ to ¾ full, and note they will rise quite a bit.
7. Bake on 350 for 12 minutes, let cool and remove from pans.
8. Top with strawberry topping or sift some powered sugar or powdered cocao on top.
- The Benefits of Toddler Climbing Toys — Meet EZPlay! - May 3, 2021
- Eco-Friendly Baby Products: The 2021 Guide for Safe and Natural Baby Toys - April 24, 2021
- Boost your child’s health with organic, fish-free DHA from Eversea - April 16, 2021