Whether you’re gearing up to send the kids off to school or dusting off the shelves of your homeschool classroom, the season of school prep is here. A DIY desk organizer is a fun project for kids and it’ll come in handy for homework time.
This fun project uses a handful of household leftovers and is endlessly customizable.
- An empty box (we used an old shipping box)
- Toilet paper tubes
- Paint, fabric, or tacky paper
- Tape (optional)
- Find your components! We needed just 4 toilet paper rolls for this box, yours may be a bit wider, or narrower.
- Once you’ve found the pieces, it’s time to decorate. Paint is an easy and fast way to dress up the cardboard. Two coats should cover it pretty well.
- Once the pieces are dry, use a piece of tape to hold your TP rolls together and apply glue ONLY to the side that will go up against the back of your box.
- Place the TP rolls into the box and press firmly against the box. (We laid the box with that side down and then placed a paint bottle on top of the rolls to apply pressure while they dried).
- When the glue is dried, decorate (stickers, doodles, etc.) and get organizing!