Ghee, or clarified butter, offers the flavor and health benefits of butter…. without the casein and proteins that are often problematic to people who are sensitive to dairy. The clarifying process heats the milk solids then skims them away from the fat, resulting in a delicious spread that combines oil’s very high smoke point and butter’s rich flavor.
Ghee is also rich in medium-chain fatty acids. Like carbohydrates, these fatty acids are absorbed directly into the liver and metabolized as energy. Studies show metabolism increases and no change in cholesterol for subjects who replaced butter with ghee.
While you can find ghee in many health food stores, it’s surprisingly easy to make in your own kitchen. The flavor is amazing… not to mention the savings!
- 2 lbs unsalted organic grass-fed butter
- Fine mesh strainer
- A clean fine natural fabric (a single layer cloth napkin or lightweight hand towel will do)
- Large glass measuring cup
- Medium saucepan
- Glass storage containers
- Slice butter into smaller, easily melted chunks.
- Place fabric into the strainer and set it on (or near) large measuring cup.
- Place chunked butter into pan.
- Melt over a medium heat, stirring occasionally to help evenly melt the butter.
- The butter will begin to separate and start to bubble (this is good). Give it a stir and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- The butter will begin to bubble more, increasing in size. The milk solids will start separating out, causing the butter to become clearer.
- Stir occasionally if you like, and it may be helpful to stir around the edges of the pan to keep the solids from sticking.
- Watch as the bubbles become clearer. They will nearly disappear as the milk solids sink to the bottom and filter out of the clarified butter above. Continue to stir and scrape the edges of the pan.
- At this point, the pan will begin to bubble once more, first larger bubbles and then smaller. When it comes to an almost frothy bubbling, remove the pan from the heat.
- Allow the pan to cool for just a few minutes and then pour through fabric-lined strainer.
- Pour into clean storage containers.
- Top Safe & Eco-Friendly Baby Products 2023 Gear Guide - January 6, 2023
- Eco-Friendly Baby Products: The 2023 Guide for Safe and Natural Baby Toys - January 4, 2023
- Vegan Chickpea Tikka Masala Recipe - January 3, 2023