Bowl-style meals are popular because they’re simple and satisfying. A quinoa bowl is even kid-friendly. You can make a filling, nutritious bowl from these main components:
Base (grains and greens)
Vegetables and/or fruits
Toppings (herbs, nuts/seeds, dressings)
Quinoa is heavy on protein and easy to make. It’s also gluten-free. The short cooking time makes it a great base. This Honey Lemon Quinoa Bowl brings together a beautiful array of colors and flavors.
Cook up a big batch of quinoa, and save it for a variety of yummy quinoa-based bowls for the week.
- ½ cup quinoa
- 2 medium zucchini thinly sliced or diced
- 1 cup organic mixed salad greens such as Earthbound Farm
- 1/3 cup peeled and thinly sliced apple
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp. sunflower seeds
- Juice of 2 medium lemons
- ½ tsp. honey
- 2-3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes optional
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork, cover and set aside.
- Meanwhile, steam squash in a steamer basket over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes or until tender. Add to quinoa mixture and toss to combine. Add salad greens, apple, parsley and sunflower seeds; toss again.
- In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, honey, olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Drizzle over quinoa mixture and toss to combine. Season to taste and serve.