Lentil mixed with sweet potato and apple is a nutrient-rich, yummy, and easy-to-prepare stage 2 baby food. (Ideal for little ones 7 months and up.)
We like this meal option regardless of whether you’re going the baby food route or a Baby Led Weaning approach where you use more foods in their existing state. The consistency of this lentil baby food is very chunky.
Lentils are a powerhouse food, loaded with vitamins, protein and antioxidants, but they can taste pretty bland on their own. When mixed with a classic flavor combo, like sweet potato and apple, most babies will gobble it up!
Before combining foods, make sure your baby has already tried each one individually. Always be certain your baby’s food is a consistency she can handle.
Use organic ingredients whenever possible. This recipe yields about 18oz.
At the final food processor stage, make sure the chunks are small and soft, so baby can gum them without risk of choking.)
Sweet Potato, Lentil & Apple, Stage 2 Baby Food Recipe
- 1 sweet potato – washed peeled and chopped.
- 2 apples of any variety – washed peeled and chopped.
- 1 cup water or low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup lentils (red, green, or yellow lentils)
- Bring the water or stock to a boil over high heat in a small pot. Add the lentils and let boil for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and the lentils are very soft.
- Pour water into a large pot until it is about 1.5” deep and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Place the sweet potato and apple into a stainless steel steamer basket and place the basket into the pot. Make sure the water isn’t touching the bottom of the basket. Cover and steam for 10 minutes until sweet potato is cooked through and very soft.
- Place the lentils, sweet potato and apple into a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth, but slightly chunky.
Latest posts by Liza Huber (see all)
- Lentil, Sweet Potato & Apple – Stage 2 Baby Food Recipe - February 16, 2016
- The Benefits of Turmeric & How to Make Golden Turmeric Milk - November 20, 2015
- Roasted Cauliflower with Turmeric - October 13, 2015