Lentil mixed with sweet potato and apple is a nutrient-rich, yummy, and easy-to-prepare stage 2 baby food. (Ideal for little ones 7 months and up.)
Lentils are a powerhouse food, loaded with vitamins, protein and antioxidants, but they can taste pretty bland on their own. When mixed with a classic flavor combo, like sweet potato and apple, most babies will gobble it up!
Before combining foods, make sure your baby has already tried each one individually. Always be certain your baby’s food is a consistency she can handle.
Use organic ingredients whenever possible. This recipe yields about 18oz.
- 1 sweet potato – washed, peeled and chopped.
- 2 apples – washed, peeled and chopped. Any variety of apple will be delicious.
- ½ cup lentils – you can use green, yellow or red lentils – rinsed in a strainer under cold running water.
- 1 cup water or low sodium vegetable stock
- Bring the water or stock to a boil over high heat in a small pot. Add the lentils and let boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and the lentils are very soft.
- Pour water into a large pot until it is about 1.5” deep and bring to a boil over high heat. Place the sweet potato and apple into a stainless steel steamer basket and place the basket into the pot. Make sure the water isn’t touching the bottom of the basket. Cover and steam for 10 minutes until sweet potato is cooked through and very soft.
- Place the lentils, sweet potato and apple into a blender or food processor and pulse until a smooth, but slightly chunky texture is achieved. Make sure that the chunks are small and soft, so baby can gum them, but not pose a choking risk.
- This puree can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge and up to 3 months in the freezer.
Latest posts by Liza Huber (see all)
- Healthy Red, White, & Blue Pops - June 26, 2017
- Lentil, Sweet Potato & Apple – Stage 2 Baby Food Recipe - February 16, 2016
- Homemade Strawberry Chia Jam - December 16, 2015