My children love any kind of fruit or cereal bar and eat them just about every day. Even though I would buy organic cereal bars, it’s still processed food. Plus, buying box after box gets expensive. I wanted to find a homemade option. My recipe for Apple Cinnamon Bars is full of healthy whole grains and fresh fruit. The kids love them and I’m so happy! I hope your family will agree!
Whole Grain Apple Cinnamon Bars
- 2 cups organic whole wheat flour
- 1 cup organic old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup agave - can also use honey cane sugar or coconut palm sugar
- 3/4 cup organic coconut oil
- 2 organic apples - washed peeled, cored and chopped into small 1/4” chunks
- 1 teaspoon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9” x 13” baking dish with butter and a little flour or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, toss the apples with the cinnamon so they’re coated evenly and set aside.
- Place the oatmeal into a blender or food processor and pulse for a few seconds until oatmeal becomes powdery.
- Put the oatmeal, flour and salt into a large mixing bowl and sift with a fork to make sure ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Add the agave, coconut oil and apples. Mix the dough until all ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Place the dough into the baking dish and spread evenly.
- Place the baking dish into the oven on the middle rack and bake for about 40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature and up to a week in the fridge.
Latest posts by Liza Huber (see all)
- Lentil, Sweet Potato & Apple – Stage 2 Baby Food Recipe - February 16, 2016
- The Benefits of Turmeric & How to Make Golden Turmeric Milk - November 20, 2015
- Roasted Cauliflower with Turmeric - October 13, 2015