Sometimes a girl just needs a brownie. But if I could have one that’s as easy to prepare as boxed mixes but without all of the extra processed ingredients, I’d be set. And they could also be gluten and dairy free and still melt in my mouth—that would be even better!
My dreams have come true with this recipe. Organic rice flour and coconut oil beautifully replace highly processed ingredients with ease. These gluten-free peppermint brownies make living a healthy, balanced life so sweet and easy!
People never guess that they contain no gluten or dairy. And the touch of peppermint extract makes them wonderfully festive for the holiday season.
- Grapeseed oil or coconut oil spray for greasing
- ½ cup white rice flour
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- 2 teaspoons tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup coconut oil at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups organic cane sugar blended
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 325ᴼF. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish with oil and line the bottom with a piece of parchment paper.
- Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the white and brown rice flours, tapioca starch, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or using a handheld mixer, beat the coconut oil and sugar on medium speed until well combined, about 2 minutes. Add the cocoa powder, vanilla, and peppermint extract and beat until incorporated. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flour mixture ½ cup at a time, beating until just combined. Stir in the walnuts and spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out nearly clean, about 40 minutes. Let cool to room temperature before cutting and serving.