A grilled cheese sandwich is the ultimate easy lunch. But there’s no reason why easy can’t also be healthy.
This recipe transforms the classic grilled cheese into a sweet and savory meal that won’t leave you feeling cheated on taste or nutrition. Plus it can be customized to accommodate most allergies (use gluten-free bread or dairy-free cheese substitutes).
Grilled Cheese, Basil, & Pear Sandwiches
- 4 slices bread of your choice
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 4 slices your choice cheddar cheese
- 4 slices your choice mozzarella cheese
- 1 large ripe pear thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Lay four slices of bread on a flat surface.
- Using a knife, spread honey onto two slices to cover the surface.
- Lay two slices of cheese on two slices of bread, then lay pear slices and basil on top.
- Top the cheese and pear halves with remaining bread slices.
- Heat one tablespoon of butter in a skillet over low heat; grill sandwiches one at a time.
- Cover and cook for two minutes, then flip using a spatula and cook for another two minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Repeat processes with other sandwich.
- Remove sandwiches from heat and transfer to a serving platter.
- Serve warm.