This mac and no cheese is dairy free, vegan, and purely delicious! You’ll love this allergen-friendly spin on the classic.
Mac and cheese is a staple in most families’ weekly meal plan and this version will be no exception.
How can mac and cheese still be rich and creamy without the cheese? In this case, we’re turning to white navy beans and sweet potatoes for extra nutrition and plenty of creamy texture.
Dairy allergies become a non-issue when you opt to make this dairy-free, vegan version of macaroni and cheese.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cups cooked white navy or butter beans about 1 can
- ¾ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 cups unsweetened nut or rice milk do not use coconut milk
- 4 cups or one 454 g package gluten-free macaroni (or your favorite pasta)
- Toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- Fresh herbs parsley, cilantro, basil
- Cherry tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes, peel the garlic cloves and place everything on a baking sheet coated with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and a pinch of sea salt.
- Roast for about 30 minutes or until the garlic and sweet potatoes are lightly browned.
- Set a pot of water on to boil with plenty of salt.
- Cook pasta according to package directions until al dents (al dente works best as the pasta tends to absorb a bit of the sauce).
- Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the pasta from cooking further.
- Return to the pot, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the little olive oil, toss to coat, and set aside.
- When the sweet potato and garlic is fully roasted and cooled add it to a high speed blender or food processor with all the remaining ingredients except for the milk. With the motor running, add the milk until the desired consistency is reached: you are looking for a very thick, yet pourable, sauce.
- Add milk until the sauce is smooth, creamy and just the right consistency.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and fully combine. You may want to re-heat the mixture over medium heat for a few minutes before serving.
- Garnish with optional toppings and enjoy!