National Avocado Day is July 31st, and the fresh flavors of this Strawberry Avocado Parfait make a delightful breakfast or afternoon snack.
If your little ones don’t already love avocados, here’s a great recipe to expose their palates to one of nature’s perfect foods. The texture is rich and buttery with a mild flavor that pairs well with sweet, savory and spicy. Avocados are also loaded with B vitamins, Vitamin E, fiber, potassium, and both monounsaturated and polyunsaturated healthy fats.
The other way we coaxed our kids into loving avocados was letting them dip organic corn chips into our best ever guacamole.
And strawberries are always delicious, so they really round out the kid-friendliness of this treat. A handful strawberries has as much Vitamin C as a whole orange.
This Strawberry Avocado Parfait is a simple dish your kids can help you make. Give them a kid-safe knife or a butter knife to help chop the fruit.
These bright colors are inviting enough to tempt even the choosiest of eaters to dig in. As always, we recommend using local, organic ingredients whenever possible.
Strawberry Avocado Parfait
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons local honey
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon fresh mint chopped finely
- 2 cups fresh strawberries cut into bite size pieces
- 1 whole avocado seeded and cut into bite size pieces
- 4 cups yogurt Greek or other, use your personal preference
- Add the first four ingredients (Lime juice through Mint) to bowl and whisk.
- Add cut up strawberries and avocado, then toss lightly until coated.
- Use clear ice cream or parfait bowl or wine glass to serve. Fill with ¼ cup yogurt and then 2 spoonfuls of the strawberry avocado mixture, alternating layers until dish is full.
Latest posts by Louise Goldberg (see all)
- Cantaloupe Raspberry Granita - June 16, 2016
- Cooking Hacks: How to Prepare an Artichoke - April 22, 2013
- Make-Ahead Breakfast: Crustless Spinach Quiche Squares - April 1, 2013