Water is necessary for human life. Our bodies need water to live. We use water to grow our crops and to clean our environment. The earth’s water supply is being contaminated and depleted by overuse and pollution. Our planet has a water problem, and we have to figure out what to do about it and devise steps to prevent further waste.
Although water makes up 71% of the earth’s surface, we are having trouble saving it. Take California for instance, they are now undergoing a major drought and by the next year according to NASA, will be out of water. This could happen in more places if we are not smarter on water conservation.
How to Reduce, Reuse, or Recycle Your Water
The easiest way to save water is to not use it when you have no need for it.
- When washing fruit, save the water and use it to water your plants.
- Only run the washing machine or dishwasher with a full load.
- Fill the sink with warm water and plug it up to rinse the dishes instead of running it the whole time.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth.
- When you clean out your fish tank, put the water in a plant.
- When an ice cube falls out of your refrigerator’s ice and water dispenser, put it in a plant.
- When you change your pet’s drinking water, use it to water your plants.
- Harvest rainwater with a rain barrel and use it in the garden or for outdoor plants.
- Always check your water bill. If it is higher than usual, you may have a leak in your home. Call your local water company and ask for them to check for leaks in or around your home.
- Take 5-minute showers instead of baths.
- Reward kids for the water saving tips they use.
All of these things can help us save and use water more wisely, and when we save water, we can help other lands or people if they are low, like California.
It’s up to everyone now to make a change and conserve water, because while water is considered a renewable resource, we’re not getting any more of it on this planet. There is only so much of it and we need to preserve what we have. The best way to do that is to follow these tips and save as much as we can.
Article by: Nicholas Sopko
- How a “Yes Space” Can Help You Get More Done at Home Without Childcare - April 14, 2020
- Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpea Tacos - January 9, 2020
- Our Holiday Gift Guide: Green Gifts for Tweens & Teens - December 4, 2019