Dry skin brushing is one of the simples and least expensive overall health and beauty treatments you can add to your daily routine.
Who knew that such an invigorating way to stay healthy could also be a shortcut to naturally gorgeous, glowing skin?
Your skin is a complex system made up of nerves, glands, and cell layers that, when healthy, serves as a buffer that helps protect your body from extreme temperatures and chemicals. It also produces antibacterial substances to protect you from infection and enables your body to produce vitamin D when exposed to the sun.
Another crucial role your skin plays is detoxification. But if your skin is overrun with toxins or dead skin cells, it will not be able to eliminate wastes from your body efficiently.
The Benefits of Dry Skin Brushing
- Stimulates the lymphatic system to help release toxins
- Increases and regulates circulation
- Improves kidney function and overall digestion
- Reduces cellulite
- Helps reduce stretch marks and tighten skin after pregnancy
- Relieves stress
The liver filters toxins from the body, produces bile to help digest fats, and removes toxic bilirubin from the blood. By helping your body detox, you make the liver’s important job more efficient.
Why Draining the Lymphatic System is Important
The lymphatic system is twice as large as the circulatory system. While the heart is responsible for pumping and cleaning the circulatory system, your lymph has no built-in pump or cleaning mechanism.
Lymph only moves through exercise, massage, and diet. Our modern lifestyle is the reason it easily gets backlogged. When waste particles from the blood are too large to be eliminated by your liver, kidneys, or skin, they go into your lymphatic vessels. And when they can’t drain away the toxins, stagnation and illness can occur.
Dry Skin Brushing Steps
Here’s how to brush your body to optimal health:
- Brush dry skin once a day (best before showering)
- Avoid harsh exfoliation
- Use a gentle brush or skin brushing set with natural bristles
- Start at the feet and brush in long circular movements up toward the heart
- Brush stomach and underarms in a clockwise motion
- Brush softly – no scrubbing (work your way up to adding pressure)
- Shower after brushing
- Moisturize with coconut oil after showering
Your lymph system drains via the chest area. To reduce cellulite and water retention, dedicate at least five minutes to brushing daily.
If you need a visual on how to brush your skin, check out this quick video.
- Natural Baby Bath & Skin Care Products 2021 Guide - April 6, 2021
- Natural Baby Sleep Aids and Baby Sleep Products 2021 Guide - March 31, 2021
- Eco-Friendly Baby Products: Organic Baby Carriers 2021 Gear Guide - March 23, 2021