Apple pie is a fall favorite, and we love offering a vegan version to our readers. This one is quite decadent. Try it and tell us what your family thinks!
Cranberry Apple Caramel Pie
- 9" vegan pie crust fully thawed if previously frozen
- 4 cups apple slices from about 6 peeled, cored apples
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar loosely packed
- 1/4 cup brown sugar loosely packed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons potato flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Vegan Caramel Sauce divided
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar or turbinado sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- 1 teaspoon bourbon optional
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon optional
- Pinch chipotle or ancho chile powder optional
- To make the filling: In a large bowl, mix the apples, cranberries, and pecans. Add the sugars and mix well. In a small bowl, combine the flours, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Fold the flour mixture into the apple mixture. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- To make the sauce: In a small pot over medium-low heat, warm the coconut cream. Whisk in the brown or turbinado sugar, salt, vanilla, bourbon, cinnamon, and chile powder, as desired.
- Cook for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring constantly.
- If the mixture starts to boil over, lift the pot off the heat, let it cool for a few seconds, then return it to the heat and keep stirring.
- If it keeps boiling over, reduce the heat slightly. The sauce will be done when it has thickened and become slightly viscous but is still pourable.
- To assemble the pie: Press 1 piecrust into an ungreased 9" pie plate (glass works best), molding the dough to the bottom and sides of the plate.
- Pour the filling into the crust.
- Drizzle 2 teaspoons of the caramel sauce over the fruit. Place the second piecrust over the fruit filling, pinching the bottom and top crusts together.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove the pie from the oven and drizzle 2 tablespoons of caramel sauce over it.
- Serve warm.