Coconut oil gives these lemon cherry cornmeal scones just the right texture and amount of moisture. And if you’re looking for a fun way to shake up fruit scones, adding organic cornmeal increases the flavor.
We love including cherries in kid-friendly foods because of the antioxidants, nutrition, and natural rich flavors. When they’re in season (anywhere from May to August), use fresh cherries for the ultimate in yum-factor. Other times of year, we use organic dried cherries.
If you’re able to stock up on fresh cherries, you can freeze them. Simply wash, dry, and pit the cherries. Then slice them in half and place on a cookie sheet lined with unbleached parchment paper and freeze until firm. Then store in a non-plastic freezer safe container.
We recommend organic coconut oil in this lemon cherry cornmeal scones recipe, scooped at room temperature. As a replacement, you could use a 1/4 cup of melted grassfed butter. Try organic hemp milk (unsweetened) to add essential fatty acids and nutrients to the scones.
Lemon Cherry Cornmeal Scones
- 1.5 cup all purpose or oat flour
- 3/4 cup organic cornmeal
- 2 Tablespoons ground flax
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla
- 1/4 cup organic coconut oil at room temp so it’s scoopable
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 3/4 cup hemp milk
- 1 cup organic cherries
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, flax, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, or large measuring cup, mix together the lemon juice, vanilla extract, oil, brown rice syrup, and hemp milk.
- Add to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the dried cherries, and drop heaping tablespoon sized drops 1-2 inches apart onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake scones for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- Let cool and enjoy.