Introduce baby to the joys of eating seasonally with this pumpkin pie puree. It’s a yummy, nutritious Stage 1 or 2 baby food that’s super easy to make.
Pumpkins are loaded with potassium, protein, fiber, and iron… making this an ideal first food for your baby.
This pumpkin pie puree is suitable for babies 5-6 months and up. At this stage, the consistency and texture of the puree should be smooth and creamy. Before combining foods, make sure your baby has tried each one individually first with no reaction to it. Always check the temperature of baby’s food before serving to make sure it’s not too warm.
And don’t toss the seeds! While you won’t want to offer pumpkin seeds to a baby or toddler, they are filled with protein and iron and they make a great snack for adults or older kids.
- 1/2 small baking pumpkin—cut in half lengthwise scoop out seeds and stringy fibers
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 425° F and line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper. Place pumpkin half on the baking sheet, cut side down. Roast on the middle rack in the oven for about 40 minutes, until pumpkin is cooked all the way through and very soft. Remove baking sheet from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Scoop the pumpkin out of the skin and place into a mixing bowl. Add the banana and pumpkin pie spice. Blend until smooth using an immersion blender. You can also blend using a food processor or standard blender.
- Serve or store. Pumpkin Pie Puree will stay fresh in an airtight container, like our glass Sage Spoonfuls jars, for up to three days in the fridge and up to three months in the freezer.