Cauliflower and chickpea tacos are a fun way to add more vegetables to your family’s meal plan.
The Green Child team became obsessed with the versatility of cauliflower when we first discovered cauliflower rice back in 2013. Cauliflower is one of the best healthy substitutes for your favorite carb-heavy foods.
And if you ever find yourself with a surplus of chickpeas, you’ll find plenty of chickpea recipes around here. Chickpeas are kid-friendly, especially when they’re roasted. Along with the protein and fiber they notoriously provide, they’re also a great source of minerals like folate and iron.
Some people use a food processor to chop the cauliflower to the same size and texture as ground beef. We prefer to keep it in floret form, but you can do whatever works best for your family.
To roast the chickpeas and cauliflower, mix them with the oils and spices and add to a pan lined with unbleached parchment paper. Bake at 425 degrees for 30-35, minutes stirring halfway through.
Guacamole and red cabbage are delicious additions to these cauliflower and chickpea tacos. If you don’t already have a favorite guac, try our best ever guacamole recipe.
Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpea Tacos
- 1 head cauliflower chopped into small to medium florets
- 16 oz. chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 12 tacos or tortillas of choice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- guacamole for topping
- fresh cilantro for topping
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 10 oz shredded red cabbage
- 1 lime juice and zest
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
Cauliflower and chickpeas
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the olive oil and spices together.
- Add the cauliflower and chickpeas, mix well, and spread in a single layer on pan.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes stirring halfway through.
- Mix yogurt and lime together.
- Add cabbage and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper, as needed.
- Place in fridge until needed.
Assemble the tacos
- Fill warmed or grilled tacos with cauliflower & chickpea mixture, slaw, and top with fresh cilantro and guacamole.
We’d love to hear how this goes, or your favorite taco recipe! Let us know in the comments.
- Zero Waste Shopping: How to shop at bulk bins and refill stores - September 10, 2020
- Green & Healthy Back to School Tips & Hacks - August 22, 2020
- 9 Tips for Homeschooling and Working Full Time from Home - August 20, 2020