Yams are a nice departure from potatoes and offer an increased selection of important minerals benefiting bone development! Yams are also known to increase fertility, so this is a fun dish to incorporate throughout your parenting process.
The rice mixture in this dish can also be easily saved to incorporate into other dishes throughout the week so you may wish to double or triple the rice batch so you can cook once and enjoy all week long!
Sweet Yams with Rice
For the yams
- 4 cups sliced yams
- 1/2 cup raw agave nectar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon optional
For the rice
- 4 cups cooked basmati rice*
- 2 cups chopped raw kale
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup diced red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
For the rice sauce
- 1 cup diced red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons raw agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Prepare the yam segment of the dish by blending the agave, oil, sea salt, and cinnamon.
- Toss the yams in this mixture, coating each segment, and lay flat on a nonstick baking sheet or in a shallow glass baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes until yams are cooked all the way through. Pierce with a fork to ensure yams are soft before removing. Note: Check doneness at 35 to 40 minutes, as moister yams will cook more rapidly than drier yams.
- Prepare the sauce for the rice by blending all ingredients until well combined.
- While the yams are baking, cook the basmati rice by bringing 4 cups water to a boil on the stovetop. Add 2 cups rice, bring to a simmer, and cover for 15 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, toss together warm rice and sauce until well combined.
- Add in the walnuts, kale, and bell pepper and toss again.
- Remove the yams from the oven.
- To serve, scoop the rice mixture on top of the yams, layered in a bowl, or place the entire mixture onto a platter with the yams around the rice for group serving. Enjoy warm.
- 5 Outdoor Nature Scavenger Hunt Printables + Ideas for Kids - May 24, 2022
- Oak Meadow Preschool: Homeschooling centered around nature and play - May 18, 2022
- The Best Non-Toxic & Eco-Friendly Strollers – 2022 Guide - May 6, 2022