It’s no secret we have a love affair with chickpeas.
Whether as a super simple snack or in our best healthy-ish chocolate chip cookies of all time, they make getting your fiber so easy and delicious.
So when Krystal Barschig offered to share her chickpea salad pita sandwich recipe, we couldn’t wait to try it.
Chickpeas are a plant-based powerhouse of nutrients. Along with the protein and fiber they notoriously provide, they’re also a great source of minerals like folate and iron– both critical components for optimal prenatal nutrition and a breastfeeding diet that nourishes both mama and baby.
These Chickpea Salad Pita Sandwiches make an easy lunch, dinner, or something fancy for a party or picnic. Stuff the chickpea salad into a pita pocket with crisp romaine lettuce leaves and a few slices of ripe, juicy tomato.
You can also scoop it onto your favorite crackers for a party appetizer, spoon it into lettuce cups for a lower calorie afternoon snack option, or forego any sort of presentation and just shovel it with a fork straight from the bowl to your mouth.
Chickpea Salad Pita Sandwich
- 1 can organic chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch scallions chopped
- 1 whole dill pickle minced
- 1 organic carrot shredded
- 2 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- pinch of salt
- cracked black pepper to taste
- pita pocket (optional)
- 4 tbsp Cucumber Yogurt Sauce
Cucumber Yogurt Sauce
- 1 garlic clove peeled
- 1/2 cucumber peeled, seeded, and diced
- 3 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas with a fork.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Next, make the Cucumber Yogurt Sauce. Pulse the garlic clove in a food processor until minced. Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
- Stir the Cucumber Yogurt Sauce into the chickpea salad mixture.
- Serve the Chickpea Salad in a pita pocket with a few crisp romaine lettuce leaves and sliced tomato, or on your favorite crackers, or eat it straight out of the bowl with a fork.
- 9 Ways to Keep the Environment Clean and Safe - April 20, 2023
- Guided Meditation for Kids: Benefits + Free Relaxation Scripts - April 18, 2023
- 21 Ideas for Celebrating Earth Day with Kids Outside - March 29, 2023
Leave a Reply