After giving birth, it’s essential to replenish lost waters and also increase the alkaline levels in the body. This refreshing watermelon soup is packed with vitamin A & C and has powerful natural antioxidants to heal a postpartum mother and support a healthy baby through mom’s breastmilk.
Watermelon is a family favorite, packed with replenishing and refreshing nutrients.
Mother Nature is pretty wise. She likes to put the right foods in season at just the time we need them. So it should be no surprise that the health benefits of watermelon are just what the body needs during a hot summer.
Found nearly everywhere in the world, and nearly year round if you shop in supermarkets but the best season for watermelon is now. No other fruit is so thirst quenching and satisfying.
Lucky for those of us who relish this taste of summer, there are many healthy reasons to eat watermelon.
The top 10 health benefits of watermelon
1. Watermelon is an excellent source of vitamin C and a very good source of vitamin A, particularly through its concentration of beta-carotene.
2. The beautiful red watermelon is also a source of the potent carotene antioxidant which is called lycopene. These antioxidants travel throughout the body neutralizing free radicals. The lycopene, which gives fruits the attractive red color that we find in watermelon, can help reduce the risks of cancer.
3. One of the surprising health benefits of watermelon is that it contains higher concentrations of lycopene than any other fresh fruit or vegetable. So it’s great for preventing macular degeneration, stroke, diabetes, and osteoporosis.
4. Watermelon is a fruit that is rich in electrolytes sodium and potassium… nutrients we lose through our perspiration. This makes watermelon slices a great snack choice for kids in the summer. It’s much healthier than store bought sugar- and food coloring-laden electrolyte drinks.
5. The fruit is rich in the B vitamins necessary for energy production. Food experts recommend watermelon as a source of vitamin B6, vitamin B1, and magnesium. Because of its higher water content approximately ninety percent and calorie value it is ranked more valuable than other fruits.
6. Watermelon has a special cooling effect and is exceptionally high in l-citrulline, an amino acid that our bodies use to make another amino acid, arginine, which is used in the urea cycle to remove ammonia from the body.
7. The antioxidants in watermelon help reducing the severity of asthma. It also reduces the risk of colon cancer, asthma, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and prostate cancer.
8. It is a good source of thiamin, potassium and magnesium which protect our body from diseases.
9. Watermelon is fat free but helps energy production.
10. Studies show the amino acid l-citrulline in watermelon can reduce muscle soreness. Athletes who drank watermelon juice experienced improved heart rates that were more beneficial for muscle recovery, less overall soreness, and fewer muscle aches (source).
When the heat of summer tires us with thirst, eating this fruity paradise is a safe alternative to taking energy drinks. Since it contains high water quantity, it helps hydrate the body where caffeinated drinks can easily dehydrate.
Watermelon also makes an excellent soup for helping the postpartum mother heal.
After giving birth, it’s essential to replenish lost waters and also increase the alkaline levels in the body. This refreshing watermelon soup is packed with vitamin A & C and has powerful natural antioxidants that will help support a healthy baby through mom’s breastmilk.
Below is a recipe for an easy to make this delicious, refreshing soup that also goes well with fresh mint.
Refreshing Watermelon Soup
- 2 pounds seedless watermelon cubed
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- ¼ cup crème fraiche
- ¼ cup coconut water
- 1 cup mango puree
- Place watermelon, mint, lemon juice, ginger, crème fraiche, and coconut water in a blender, and puree to a soup-like mixture.
- Refrigerate and serve cold with a dollop of mango puree on top and tiny minced fresh mint.
- The Benefits of Toddler Climbing Toys — Meet EZPlay! - May 3, 2021
- Eco-Friendly Baby Products: The 2021 Guide for Safe and Natural Baby Toys - April 24, 2021
- Boost your child’s health with organic, fish-free DHA from Eversea - April 16, 2021