This dish is truly a vegan outreach party pleaser. Whenever I’m invited to a potluck that includes nonvegans I always want to bring a dish that everyone will love. I considered how popular twice-baked potatoes always were while I was growing up, and I thought, what an easy and traditional dish to veganize. I often cut each potato into quarters so they’re the perfect size for picking up and eating with your hands. They also travel very well and make excellent leftovers.
The Best Twice-Baked Potatoes
- 4 russet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons Grass-fed butter
- Grass-fed butter divided
- 1/4 sweet onion diced (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced (1/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Daiya
- Vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- 6 ounces Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 ounces Daiya Cheddar Style Block grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives optional
- Preheat an oven to 400°F. Pierce the potatoes with a fork several times. Transfer them to the oven and bake for 1 hour. Cut them in half lengthwise and let cool for 10 minutes.
- While they are baking, melt 2 tablespoons of the vegan butter in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until it just starts to brown, about 6 minutes. Add the bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for another 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Scoop out most of the potato flesh into a mixing bowl. Combine this with the onion-pepper mix, melted Earth Balance from the saute pan, the grated Daiya, the Better Than Sour Cream, and the salt and pepper, mixing well.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil. Place the potato skins scooped-outside-down onto the baking sheet. In a small pan, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of Earth Balance and brush it onto the potato skins. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and garlic powder on them. Flip them over and fill with the potato/Daiya/onion-pepper mix. Top each potato with the grated Daiya.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Garnish each potato with chopped chives, if using.
- What is Guided Meditation & How Does it Benefit Kids? - June 7, 2021
- Free Guided Meditation for Sleep: It’s Sloth’s Bedtime - May 25, 2021
- The Benefits of Toddler Climbing Toys — Meet EZPlay! - May 3, 2021