The simplest combinations are often the best. And when it comes to summer treats, this berry fruit salad with Greek yogurt is easy to make and super refreshing.
Your local farmers market is probably overflowing with fresh blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries right now.
What better way to encourage eating seasonally (and healthy snacking) than bringing home loads of fresh berries! They’re perfectly sized for little hands. And this is an easy recipe for kids to help make.
It’s also red, white, and blue… so you’ll have an easy, healthy patriotic dish to bring to your next eco-friendly summer party (think 4th of July!)
BERRIES ARE PACKED WITH NUTRIENTS
Tons of studies show that berries improve:
- memory and brain function
- blood vessel function
- glucose and insulin sensitivity
- cholesterol markers
- overall inflammation
One fascinating study found that people who consumed 2 cups of strawberries per day showed decreased pro-inflammatory markers by nearly 40% after 30 days (source). Berries are also connected to lower risk for diabetes, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, and even cancer.
With all these health benefits there’s really no reason NOT to enjoy berries any chance you get.
HOW TO MAKE FRESH BERRY FRUIT SALAD
You can layer the berries, mint, pecans, and yogurt or you can mix it all together. You’ll find photos of both options above. It really depends on your own preference… or you can let the kids decide.
As always, we recommend organic ingredients. If you can’t find organic at your farmers market or grocery, be sure to rinse them with vinegar or a natural fruit and veggie wash to remove any pesticides. If you have to prioritize for budget reasons, go for organic strawberries as their conventional counterparts are still at the top of the Dirty Dozen list.
This refreshing berry fruit salad takes about 10 minutes and makes 4 servings.
Berry Fruit Salad with Greek Yogurt
- 3 cups fresh organic berries strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt at room temperature
- 1/4 cup fresh mint finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pecans chopped
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- In a small bowl, mix the yogurt, honey, orange zest, salt, pepper, chopped mint, and pecans.
- In a large bowl add the fruit, add the yogurt mixture and stir gently.
- Top with fresh mint.
- Serve immediately or chill for 2-3 hours.
- Alternately: layer the berries with the mint and yogurt mixture.
- Holiday Not-To-Do List: 10 ways to simplify your holiday - November 13, 2022
- Eco-Friendly Gift Wrapping How-To - November 8, 2022
- Playing in the Rain: Get kids outside in almost any weather - October 22, 2022