As parents-to-be we put so much time and effort into coming up with the perfect name… only to call our babies all kinds of variations of said name, not to mention other cute nicknames that have nothing to do with their given moniker.
Well, because we accept that this is just how it is, we’ve rounded up some of the cutest nicknames for the most popular girl and boy names of 2022.
Plus we threw in a list of classic and cute nicknames. Check them out:
Top 10 Nicknames for Girls
You’re sure to find some fitting and cute nicknames for baby girls among this list.
- Olivia: Coming in at number one for 2022, Olivia is of Latin origin meaning olive or olive tree. Cute nicknames for Olivia include: Livy, Liv, Viv. Like the vibe? Take a look at some more botanical baby names.
- Emma: Emma, the runner up for this year’s most popular girl names is an English name with roots in an old Germanic word meaning “whole” or “universal.” Here are some cute nickname ideas for Emma: Em, Emme, Emy
- Amelia: The popular name Amelia is of Latin origin and means “work” or “industriousness”. Here are nicknames for Amelia: Ames, Millie, Lia
- Ava: This three letter baby name is of Germanic origin, meaning “guarantee.” In Latin, avis means “bird” or “birdlike”. Already on the short side, cute nicknames for Ava include: Av, Ace, A.
- Sophia: Sophia is a classic Greek name meaning “wisdom.” Nicknames for Sophia: Soph, Fifi, Sophie, Effie
- Isabella: Isabella is the Spanish and Italian variation of the Hebrew name Elisheba, meaning “God is my oath”. Cute nicknames for Isabella include: Isa, Bella, Belle.
- Mia: Mia is linked to the Italian word mia, meaning “mine” and is also recognized as a derivation from the Slavic word Mila, meaning “dear” or “darling”. A beautiful cross cultural name choice, cute nicknames for Mia are: Mimi, M, Mi Mia
- Luna: The name Luna means “moon” in Latin and in several languages with Latin roots, including Spanish and Italian. Nicknames for Luna: Lou, Lulu, Una, Moony
- Charlotte: A French feminine name for “Charles”, Charlotte means “strong and virile” and “vigorous”. Nicknames for Charlotte: Lotte, Charlie, Char, Lottie
- Harper: Unsurprisingly Harper means “someone who plays the harp” and closes out the list of the most popular baby names of the year. Cute nicknames for Harper include: Harly, Harpy, Harp
Top 10 Nicknames for Boys
You can’t always control what your child is called by their friends, but we tried to include some cool nicknames for boys to get your little one off to a solid start!
- Noah: Comes from the Hebrew word”Noach” which means “rest” or “repose.” Nicknames for Noah include: No, Noey, J No
- Liam: Liam is an Irish name meaning “strong-willed warrior” and “protector.” Fun nicknames for Liam: Lucky Liam, Li, Lio
- Oliver: Oliver comes from Old Norse meaning “ancestor’s descendants.” And like Olivia, it also stems from the Latin and French words for “olive” or “olive tree”. Nicknames for Oliver: Ollie, O
- Elijah: The name Elijah goes back to the Old Testament of the Bible, and derives from a Hebrew phrase meaning “Jehovah is my God.” Here’s some cute nicknames for Elijah: Eli, Lijah, Jah
- Mateo: Mateo is a name of Spanish origin meaning “gift of God.” Nicknames for Matteo: Matt, Matty, Teo
- Lucas: A Greek name for “bringer of light”. Nicknames for Lucas include: Lu, Louie, Luca, Luke
- Levi: A biblical name, meaning “joined in harmony.” Nicknames for Levi: L, Levis, Lev, Lee
- James: James comes from the Hebrew name Jacob, and means “supplanter.” It’s on the top ten list for boy names, but it can also be a gender neutral name choice. Nicknames for James: Jamsey, Jimmy, Jamie, Jameson
- Ethan: The name Ethan is Hebrew in origin and most often means “strong” and “safe. Cute nicknames for Ethan: E, Etty, ET
- Grayson: The name Grayson is of English origin and means “to shine”. Nicknames for Grayson: Gray, Sonny, Son, G
20 Classic and Cute Nicknames for Kids
Looking for a special nickname that has nothing to do with your child’s first name? Here’s a list of classic and cute options:
There’s so much in a name, but nothing will compare to the bond you share, this is just one special part of your parenthood journey-and we truly hope you enjoy the ride!
- 30 Merry-Making Things To Do On Christmas Eve and Christmas Day With Kids - November 2, 2022
- Bring the Outdoors In With Common Tall House Plants - November 1, 2022
- Popular 70’s Names Making a Comeback - October 17, 2022